Door dreams, symbols and myths
Do you ever dream about doors?
This might seem like a strange question but for those of you that like a spot of psychology and enjoy analysing your dreams, it is very relevant and a common subject for many of our dreams. I often dream about doors but to be honest it is more related to the stresses of work than anything deep and meaningful. But you never know - I might be enlightened as I research the subject of Doors and Dreams more.
Doors are symbolic
Doors and doorways have been symbolic throughout history, whether it is has been due to mythology, religion or literature.
Did you know that the Romans had a god of doors and doorways – Janus! He is usually depicted as having two faces, one looking to the future and the other to the past - a god of transitions and beginnings.
A door is a portal, acting as an entrance or exit. Metaphorically, a door can lead to almost anything - another world, a new beginning, challenge or opportunity. On the flip side, a closed door can represent a dead end with feelings of imprisonment and no way out.
So it is easy to understand why doors are such a popular feature in our dreams.
Interpreting the meaning of Doors in your dreams
From what I have read, seeing a door in your dream relates to a period of transition or change – whether it is positive and full of opportunity, or representative of a more fearful, apprehensive time in your life.
Here are some of the most common occurrences of doors in dreams and their possible meanings:
- An open door signifies entering a new stage in your life with new opportunities. You are a person that is receptive and willing to accept new ideas and change.
- A closed or locked door suggests something or someone is blocking you and your progress, or perhaps a project or phase in your life has ended. Apparently if you’re outside the locked door, you have anti-social tendencies and if you’re inside the door, you have some harsh lessons to learn. If you are the one locking the door, then it is likely that you are shutting yourself off from others, possibly due to fear and low self worth.
- If a door is slammed in your face, then you are feeling shut out or being ignored.
- A revolving door suggests that you are moving in circles and not going anywhere.
- A red door suggests that you are keeping feelings of anger or passion locked up. Apparently you should open the door if you want to confront these difficult emotions.
There are many more interpretations and the above is just a small selection. If you would like help interpreting a dream about doors, I would suggest reading the following Step by Step Guide.
So the next time you dream about a door, think twice, it might mean more than you realise.